I finished the embroidery on Edmund’s Anglo Saxon Tunic. Finally. I’m very pleased with how well it turned out.

Finished Tunic

Doesn’t that look nice? There are some parts where the blue line is a little lost in the sea of fill stitching, but I think it’s okay on the whole.

Tunic Keyhole

I finished the neck embroidery and decided that something was missing. So I did some quick decorative stitches around the cuffs too. The blue is stem stitch, the ecru is a chain stitch (with 3 strands instead of 6), and the yellow and red is a tied herringbone stitch. Not sure if it’s period, but it’s pretty.

Tunic Cuff

Don’t worry, this will be the last post that this tunic gets. Until I manage to get a picture of Edmund in it, of course. And lest you all think that I’m shirking my embroidering now, I’ve got another project in the works already: a “butt-flag” favor with Afonlyn Shire’s device.

Afonlyn Favor

4 thoughts on “Finally!”

    1. Thank you! I wanted something vibrant enough to stand out, but still in keeping with a period color scheme.

  1. Hi,

    Just found your site off Racaire’s blog. I love the work you have done on the neckline of the tunic. It’s fantastic.
    How did you go about stitching it and keeping the tension??


    1. First of all, thank you so much! I had finished the tunic enough for him to wear at an event, so the neckline had a facing on it. I only embroidered it afterward; that provided enough stability that I didn’t need a hoop. Downside: a really ugly interior neckline.
      If I were going to do it again, I’d mark the neckline and embroider it before I cut it out. Alternatively, I’d make an embroidered facing to sew to the outside of the tunic.
      Either way, I’d use a hoop and embroider before the garment was finished. I hope that helped!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Scroll to Top