Browsed by
Category: Largesse

New Embroidery Project

New Embroidery Project

Gearing up to start a new embroidery project: an embroidery kit for someone in the SCA. There will be a pouch (that’s what this is), a scissor fob, and a needle-roll. I can’t wait to start!

Gearing up for a new embroidery project.

Double Eagle

Double Eagle

I read a lot of Heinlein novels. Which leads me to say that I will never ever think of a double eagle without thinking of this coin, which was gifted to Maureen by her father on her wedding day. Which doesn’t have anything to do with this post, except that this project features a double-headed eagle.

Double Eagle

I’d been wanting to make a project for my friend Marc for some time, which is kind of funny, ’cause I tend to be a selfish crafter. But Marc is very kind and just getting back into the SCA, and I wanted part of his kit to be something he would really cherish. So I decided to make him a lovely embroidered belt pouch. And even though you can only see it just a wee bit, this project is stretched on one of my Christmas presents to me: an American Dream scroll frame. I love it. Unlike hoops, I can stitch with a hand on either side at once, and the tension is maintained much more evenly, especially after I sewed the edges with spare perl cotton.

Double Eagle

Part of his intended device (coat of arms) is a double headed eagle, so I went searching for one that was vaguely Teutonic and not something that looked like it belonged on currency of some denomination. I settled on a design lifted from a 15th century banner. It’s worked in a kind of long-and-short stich that loks a little like feathers. I intend to couch some silver thread around the edges as a outline and add silver French knot eyes.

Double Eagle

Embroidery

Embroidery

So, I know I’ve been gone for a couple months.  I’m sorry about that.  My first trimester was terribly hard on me; it felt like I was hung over for four months. Yes, four.  My morning sickness lasted all day and didn’t abate until well into the fourth month, after my doctor prescribed me some of the anti-nausea medicine they give cancer patients to ease the side effects of chemo. Incidentally, that stuff works. Really well.

Instead of wasting an entry listing what’s happened to me in the interim, I’m making the executive decision to just continue on as if I’d never stopped.  One of the reasons I procrastinate about picking something (blogging, corresponding, journalling) back up after I’ve paused for a bit is that I feel overwhelmed by what I should have written, and obligated to write about all that stuff before I write about new stuff.  So I’m giving myself permission to skip the old stuff.

Something I’ve been doing a lot of since I’ve gotten pregnant is embroider.  It’s too warm down here for most of the year to knit, but I don’t have the energy to do more strenuous things, either.

Favor

This is the favor I embroidered for my Champion, Richard of Essex.  The crow is done in klosterstitch (thanks, Racaire!) and the outline and keys are in stem stitch. Seeing as how he’ll be wearing it whilst fencing, I wanted something that could stand up to a bit of hard wear and washing, so I went with cotton pearl thread on a linen ground. Easy as pie.

Needle Roll

Needle Roll

I had embroidered that little flower motif some time back, as a little experiment, but I didn’t know what to do with it.  Racaire had made a lovely needle roll or two and I was inspired to make my own. The braid around the edge was a pain in the butt, but a pretty way to finish it.

Cup Cover

This is a cup cover I made for myself. It’s based on a Byzantine brooch design that I happened to like.  I embroidered the motif and then appliqued it to a hemmed square of linen.  It’s still awaiting the beads at the corners to prevent it from blowing away, but I’ll get to that after we move.

Cup Cover WIP

Edmund said he wanted blue and green for his cup cover.  Personally, I’m not enamored of how this is coming out, but he seems to like it, so that’s fine.  The design is based on a brooch from the Andel period. The outer ring will be the same medium blue as the outer-most cross segment. It, too, will be appliqued onto a square of linen.  I’m doing it that way so the back of the embroidery isn’t visible, but I don’t know. It may just be one more fussy step that doesn’t really matter.  The last ones I did had the embroidery showing on the back and they looked fine.